Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ceramic Owls Children's Art

Don't look now....


but our art class have been busy creating a parliament of owls
 (isn't that a great collective noun?).

I actually prefer to call them ....
The Broody Bunch
(the owls, not my class)

They are so simple to make.
 This broody bunch was completed by my class of 10 years olds,
however,  my 6 year old made one just as easily!


My apologies for the quality of these photos,
 but I wanted to show you how I displayed them.
I cut out a tree from black paper making sure to include a hole in the middle and lots of spooky branches. Then I attached the owls and tree to the boards with velcro spots. 



These owls are found in many fantastic places on the net and I'm really not sure who began them- they look like something left over from the 70's school art scene to me
 (I mean that in a good way).

All you need is a:
 ball of clay
rolling pin /plastic cup/ dowel (to roll the clay
 texta lid ( or anything to create texture)

One Crayola Short has a great owl tutorial to follow,
 as does That Artist Woman- so check them out if you are interested.

We painted ours with glazes, but you could certainly use acrylics on air dried clay.
Alternatively, I'd love to try these with a polymer clay too and use vibrant fun colours.

I hope you give them a go...
we certainly had a hoot!




These and other art lessons are also pinned on my Pinterest boards.


homework




Linking up Elle and Lou with these great sites:

9 comments:

  1. The owls are so cute! Btw, thanks for the sweet comment on my Nutella croissants post :) With all your creativity, hope you can swing by and join us on Sunday at my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Also, I have a Market Your Biz and Giveaways blog party every Tuesday so please feel free to link up your etsy by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously loving the creativity of this post! Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting on my article:) I'm totally returning the favor and I am your 7th follower:) Thanks again and I look forward to "seeing you around" I hope you have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful artworks.
    The owls are adorable and how you placed them on the tree is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we made these a couple of years ago (when my daughter was 2.5) out of crayola model magic: http://paintcutpaste.com/abracadabra/
    i think it's about time to revisit these now that she's 4.5, and owl obsessed. (she was an owl for halloween this year.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Elle and Lou,
    Your owls look fantastic! Thanks so much for the link back. Love your idea for mounting, I will have to try that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The owls are adorable! I can't wait to make a few with my little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these owls. I am so into owls this year. Thanks so much for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These owls are so cute. I love all the different textures and the way you displayed them. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun. I especially love how you displayed them on the tree! Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness! I always love what you do.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you.
Thank you for your taking the time.